It’s Reebok Ragnar Relay week, and it’s time to prepare yourself for the unforgettable journey that lies ahead. Give up on the idea of sleep. Get excited to run your heart out. Look forward to slap happy, hilarious and meaningful conversations at 4 a.m. And last but not least, pack like a Ragnar Relay PRO to maximize your experience:
Safety should always come first, but it’s especially true at a Ragnar Relay. It’s not only important to us, but it is required that you have the proper safety gear:
- Reflective Vest (required for every runner) – We recommend Nathan Reflective Vests.
- Headlamp (required – 2 per van) – You can share headlamps with your van-mates, but we suggest having your own because they get sweaty and fit differently on everyone. The new Nathan Nebula and Halo Fire headlamps are the first headlamps ever designed specifically for runners and feature:
- Run-Right Light™ combination of Spotlight & Floodlight
- RunWave™ technology to adjust settings touch-free
- Auto-Strobe™ communicates runner’s presence to drivers
- Check them out and see the difference!
- Taillight (required – 2 per van) – Nathan Sports offers the “StrobeLight” in 4 different colors.
- Hand Flash light – Not required, but awesome.
- In case of emergency (ICE) contacts for each runner
Running a Ragnar Relay is much different than your typical 10K or half marathon. You’ll be running three, or more times within a 24 hour period so the clothing you pack and wear is even more important to your overall experience:
- Sweat Vac Team shirts – Custom Ragnar team tee-shirts, visors and tech-tees are fun to have during the race and will help commemorate your accomplishment when it’s all over. Just think about all of the Ragnar nostalgia you’ll have when you see your team shirt after the race is over.
- Costumes/ Accessories – Because everyone loves chasing superwoman or a man in a tutu.
- Three running ensembles (six for ultra-teams):
- Shirt or tank top
- Running shorts and compression shorts
- Sports Bra/Underwear
- Running shoes
- Light jacket (Rain layer)
- Warm hoodie or jacket – Depending on your event, you also might consider gloves and a ski hat.
- CEP Compression socks or sleeves – Great for recovery on the go and hanging out in the van after a long run
- Running Hat – Keep the sun off your face.
- Sun Glasses
- Sweatpants and cozy clothes for the van
- Flip flops – It will feel nice to air out your feet. Consider wiping your feet off with ShowerPills to help avoid getting blisters and keep them from stinking up the entire van.
- Ragnar Bondi Band – Keep the sweat off of your face with a bold fashion statement (not just for women!).
You don’t need to overdo it on bringing things like magazines, books, card games and everything you can think of on your Ragnar adventure. You’ll find that time will fly by between the running, navigating, getting food, exploring local landmarks and bonding with your team. Here are a few items to consider:
- Smartphone – And don’t forget to download the NEW Ragnar App:
- Car compatible phone charger
- Video Camera/ GoPro – Enter the Find Your Inner Wild Video Contest. – $3,200+ in prizes up for grabs!
- Cowbells/ Noise Makers
- Sunscreen- Thinksport Sunscreen is made for athletes and safe for your skin.
- Running Belt – Hold your phone, money, keys, etc. with the FlipBelt.
- Headphones like JayBird Wireless headphones
- GPS Running Watch – Track your miles, average pace and heart rate right from your watch.
- Jaybird Rein Activity Tracker – Track your activity, and (lack of) sleep throughout the 200ish mile relay.
- Sleeping bag/ Pillow/ Blanket (optional)
- Addaday Portable Massage Roller- massage your sore muscles after every run. It’s like having a personal masseuse with you in your van.
- Elevated Legs – turn your van into a recovery station!
- Hydration belt
- Nathan Reusable water bottle
- Van decorating supplies
- Team Van Magnets
- LED lights for inside/outside of van
- Anything that will make your van stand out but not litter the course
- Trash and Recycling Liners (Pick them up at the start line and Exchange 6)
- First Aid Kit
- Ragnar Race Bible (print 1 per van OR save the race bible on your mobile device)
- Pace Calculator
- ShowerPills – a better alternative to baby wipes!
- Sunblock/ Lip Balm
- Bobby pins/ hair ties/ BondiBand
- Antichafe powder or cream
- Toothbrush/ Toothpaste
- Extra roll of toilet paper
- Water – We suggest you bring a big cooler of water and fill up reusable water bottles instead of using bottled water to minimize waste.
- Nuun Electrolyte Tablets – Pop these tasty, portable, electrolyte tabs is your water to keep you hydrated. Nuun tabs deliver a fast-absorbing electrolyte blend without the sugar or waste of bottled sport drinks.
- KIND Snack bars
- Muscle Milk
- Food of your choice – Check out 8 Tips for How to Eat at Your Next Ragnar.
Pack up your bag, hit the road, and leave the world behind! If you have any additional packing tips or items you like to pack during a Ragnar Relay, leave a comment below!